3.03.2014

Looking Back: Februrary

For being the shortest month in the year, the month of February packed a huge punch! A lot happened in a mere four weeks.

Running: I actually ran one race, which I have yet to post a recap for, bringing my total February miles to 199. I know, I should have run ONE more mile in order to round it out, but I did not realize that February was even over until it was gone! It really flew by. I have been doing a lot of after work runs along the Marina and Crissy Field in San Francisco and the views have been gorgeous! I also had a great trail run on the coast with Broski, which was his longest EVER (22.5 miles)!

Alamere Falls run

Travel: I actually got out of the state this month, with a food and fun filled weekend with Lisa in North Carolina. In addition, I had a day trip to Sacramento, and another to Santa Rosa. It was nice to get out the the Bay Area if even just for the weekend, although it's always nice to come home! I am hoping to get out of the country soon, but the prices of flights have been really expensive lately!

Books: Wait for it...this month I read 5 books, and read 4 half books (one novel I just couldn't finish, 3 reference type books such as a book about the John Muir Trail). My favorites were Someone Knows My Name, which is about an African girl ripped from her home and taken to America to be a slave in the 1700s, and Orphan Train, a story about New York orphans who get taken to the Midwest to be "adopted" by farmers wanting free labor. Both are stories of hardship and are based on true stories and they were both hard to put down.

An attempt to brush up on my Spanish

Food: Aside from all the wonderful food in North Carolina, I also tried a new Korean place in Oakland as well as had a nice lunch at Brown Sugar Kitchen, which has the most excellent waffles (with chicken). In addition, I have been experimenting more with canning, and had a great Sunday night dinner with the Broski where we had homemade hamburgers and baked sweet and regular potato fries. I also had a great time (as always) shopping in my local Mexican supermarket, where the jalapenos are super cheap!

from crissy field
View of the city from Crissy Field

Other highlights included happy hour with the girls, some great lunch time walks, some garden prep work, an extra productive month at work and lots of time spent planning out summer weekends!

How was your February? Did you have any fun weekend trips? Do you have a favorite local market?

4 comments:

  1. I recently read the Orphan Train also, so hard to imagine a life like that, makes me feel so lucky to have such a blessed life. My Feb was not nearly as busy as yours. Seemed to be a lot of cold, snowstorms and yearning for sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. February started off great and ended sucky on the running front!!! I'm ready for sun and warmth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mileage is impressive, especially considering all the other things you did in the month of February, and considering it is a short month! Well done!

    February went pretty fast for me too. I had a blast hosting you, went to Austin for a girls weekend, and went home to Minneapolis. I also returned to running and ran 33.5 miles which is not too bad for my first month back. My mileage will stay that low until I see my doctor in April, but it's a good base!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!